An easy and beautiful cake, this Black Forest Cake is made with a moist chocolate cake recipe, fresh whipped cream and sweet cherry pie filling.
1. Prepare a chocolate cake according to the directions on the box (or follow your favorite recipe). Place baked cakes on a baking rack to cool.
2. Once the cake has cooled, remove from the pans. Place one layer on a plate or cake stand. Scoop half of the cherry pie filling onto the center of the first layer. Using a piping bag fitted with a star tip, pipe whipped cream onto the edges of the cake.
3. Place the second cake layer on top. Scoop the rest of the cherry pie filling onto to the top of the cake. Pipe whipped cream onto the edges of the top layer. Garnish with chocolate shavings if desired. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
1. While cake is cooling, prepare the whipped cream. Add water to a microwave safe bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin powder. Let sit for a few minutes. Microwave the mixture for a couple of seconds until dissolved. Stir and then set aside to cool.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, add in the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whip the mixture on high speed until it starts to thicken and soft peaks form. Switch to low and slowly pour in the gelatin mixture. Once combined, increase the speed to medium and continue beating until thick peaks form.