Traditional Mexican Hot Chocolate
A rich, creamy, and slightly spicy traditional Mexican Hot Chocolate. After one sip of this hot chocolate, you'll never want to drink store-bought hot cocoa ever again!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 bars bittersweet chocolate, see notes
- 1 teaspon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- whipped cream, optional
- chocolate shavings, optional
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine chocolate, sugar, cinnamon, milk, cream and chili powder.
- Stir the hot chocolate mixture until the chocolate is melted and the mixture has reached the desired temperature.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs and serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.
- Do not use milk chocolate in this recipe. It will overpower the hot chocolate and make it too sweet, which is not what we're looking to achieve here.
- Store leftover hot chocolate in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (depending on the freshness of the ingredients used.) Reheat in the microwave, and add garnishes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
Keywords: cinnamon, hot chocolate, mexican, winter, drink