This Monte Cristo Sandwich, based on the Disneyland classic, is filled with layers of ham, turkey, and cheese and fried to golden perfection. The fan-favorite dish is served with a dusting of powdered sugar and a side of raspberry jam.
1. Whisk together mayonnaise and mustard and spread on each slice of bread.
2. Assemble sandwiches by layering two slices of ham, two slices of turkey, and one slice of Swiss cheese on top of a piece of bread. Top with another piece of bread.
3. Depending on the size of the bread you are using, you may want to slice the sandwich in half at this point. Secure each piece with a toothpick.
4. Combine the batter ingredients in a shallow dish.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat (365-375 degrees.)
6. Gently dip half of each sandwich into the batter. Then flip so the sandwich is completely covered in the batter.
7. Transfer the sandwich to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Place the cooked sandwich on a paper-towel-lined plate (or a cooling rack to help maintain crispiness.)
8. Continue cooking in batches until all of the sandwiches are done.
9. Dust the cooked sandwiches with powdered sugar and serve with a side of raspberry jam for dipping.