Experience the perfect balance of sweetness and texture with this classic pavlova recipe. With a crispy crust and a soft, marshmallow-like center, it's a simple yet beautiful dessert that will delight your taste buds!
3. Add in the sugar, half a cup at a time, and continue beating until glossy, stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved (it should no longer feel gritty.) The peaks should be very stiff at this point. If not, continue mixing at high speed until they have reached a stiff consistency (when the beaters or whisk are lifted up, the peak doesn’t move.)
4. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl and gently fold in the cream of tartar and cornstarch. Fold until all of the powder is absorbed, taking care not to overfold the meringue.
5. Transfer the meringue to the prepared baking sheet. Use a spatula to create tall edges and a slight depression in the middle.
6. Place the pavlova in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 200F. Bake for 90 minutes or until the pavlova is firm and dry to the touch; it will turn a slight cream color.
7. Turn the oven off and let the pavlova cool inside the oven. Allow it to cool for at least 5-6 hours or overnight, which will help prevent it from cracking (although some cracking is normal.)
8. Just before serving, top with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Keywords: dessert, meringue, pavlova