This Cafe Rio Sweet Pork is tender, juicy, and full of flavor! Just throw the ingredients in your slow cooker in the morning and it will be ready for dinner that evening - it's that easy. This pork is the perfect addition to burritos, tacos, salads and more.
One of our favorite places to grab a bite to eat is Cafe Rio (or Costa Vida). Ever since Jacob and I were dating we have loved to eat there. I'll admit, we probably grab lunch there at least once every other week. And somehow I never get sick of it those sweet pork salads. Luckily, you don't have to live by a Cafe Rio to enjoy sweet pork. This recipe is the perfect way to recreate your favorite salads, burritos, tacos or nachos!
Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Ingredients
- Pork - I recommend using pork shoulder or butt.
- Coca Cola - I know it sounds weird, but Coke adds the best sweet flavor to the pork!
- Salt and pepper
- Diced green chiles
- Red enchilada sauce
- Brown sugar
How to Make the Pork
Place roast inside slow cooker. Pour Coke and water around pork. Add garlic, salt, and pepper.
Cover and cook on low.
Remove pork from slow cooker and pour our the liquid. Shred the pork.
In a blender, blend together the other half of the Coke, diced green chilies, enchilada sauce and brown sugar.
Place the pork back in the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the pork. Cover and cook for 1 more hour on low.
- Use regular Coca Cola, not diet.
- Only use pork shoulder or butt, anything else tends to be too lean for this recipe.
- Don't let the pork cook in the slow cooker for longer than 8 or 9 hours or else it will get overcooked.
More Mexican-inspired recipes to try:
- Creamy Chicken Quesadillas
- Authentic Guacamole
- Mexican Horchata
- Homemade Mexican Churros with Dipping Sauces