This easy creamy chicken quesadillas recipe takes things up a notch with a tasty chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella filling. Top it all off with homemade guacamole and pico de gallo for a fun meal that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Now that we're officially FIVE weeks away from meeting baby girl, dinners in our household have started getting really simple. Like stupidly simple. Think spaghetti and tacos every week (sorry hubby!). People aren't kidding when they talk about feeling completely exhausted in your third trimester. The lack of energy and unmotivation has hit me hard, and all I want to do right now is just sleep all the time. The struggle is way too real right now.
That's where these creamy chicken quesadillas step in. When you're too tired or unmotivated to make an extravagant dinner, these quesadillas are seriously the perfect option. They are a step up from the traditional old quesadillas (you know the kind that you slap some cheese in and fry in butter?), but they really don't require that much more effort and they have a bit more substance to them than just a layer of cheese.
I recommend baking these quesadillas in the oven to get that nice crispy texture, but you can also just as easily fry them up in a frying pan with a little bit of butter. The latter option is certainly a good idea when it's boiling hot outside and you don't want to heat up the house by turning on the oven.
My favorite way to enjoy these quesadillas is with a side of guacamole and pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream on top. If you're feeling really ambitious you could make your own guac and pico (hello summer tomatoes!), but I'm sure buying them premade from the store would be equally as delicious and a lot less work!
What type of cheese is best for quesadillas?
For this recipe, I used a combination of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese, but you are welcome to try other cheeses like Monterey Jack or something of the like.
How do you keep quesadillas crispy?
When you cook quesadillas in the oven, there are three tips you should follow if you want them to come out crispy (Nagi from RecipeTin Eats sums it up perfectly)! First, you'll want to wait for the filling to cool after you cook it. If the filling it warm when you spoon it on the tortillas it will make them soggy, and no one wants a soggy tortilla! Next, spray the baking sheet with oil and pop it in the oven for a few minutes, this helps to make the quesadillas extra crispy. Lastly, make sure the oven is hot, like 425F hot. Just make sure to keep an eye on the quesadillas while they are baking so the edges don't get too brown too fast.
More Mexican recipes you need to try!Print
Creamy Chicken Quesadillas
This easy creamy chicken quesadillas recipe takes things up a notch with a tasty chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and mozzarella filling.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Inactive Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 quesadillas 1x
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 ½ lb chicken, (2 cups shredded)
- 1 cup salsa
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- dash of salt
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray or brush with oil. Heat the sheet in the oven while you put together the quesadillas.
- In a medium saucepan, heat chicken, salsa, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted and blended into the mixture. Set aside and let cool.
- Once cool, spoon the filling onto half of a tortilla. Continue until the filling has been evenly distributed among the tortillas. Top with a good sprinkling of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Fold in half and press down.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and carefully place the quesadillas on it, you'll probably hear a slight sizzle while you do this.
- Bake the quesadillas for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Then flip over and bake for another 5 minutes. The quesadillas should be golden and crispy at this point.
- Serve with pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream or other toppings, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0