Lately I have been on a crazy cooking spree. I recently graduated college and I am (sadly) still on the job hunt. I'm not sure what to do with so much free-time during the day. It's a bit overwhelming really, going from a full-time student to having so much time on my hands. I started this blog as a hobby to keep myself busy, but now I am considering self-hosting. I guess we'll see what happens...
Well anyways, I had some old bananas sitting on the counter and I thought, what better way to use unwanted bananas than in streusel muffins? This recipe combines the goodness of sweet bananas with loads of cinnamon and nutmeg (the aroma of these muffins while in the oven is to die for!). I don't know about you, but I think that's the perfect combination! These muffins are so simple, yet very satisfying.
Brown Sugar Banana Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tin or line with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the egg and brown sugar until smooth.
4. Add vanilla, melted butter, bananas, and milk to sugar mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
5. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and stir until just moistened, DO NOT overmix batter as this will result in tough muffins.
5. Fill each muffin cup ⅔ full with the batter. Sprinkle a generous amount of streusel topping over each of the muffins.
6. Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes or until muffins are golden. Remove muffins to a wire cooling rack.
1. In a small bowl, mix together with an electric mixer the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter to make the streusel topping. The mixture should reach a coarse consistency.