German Currywurst is the ultimate German street food. Bratwurst is slathered with curry ketchup, and served with fries or bread, for a dish that is quick, simple, and flavorful!
Two words: German currywurst. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. Pan-fried German bratwurst is sliced and slathered with curry ketchup (and if you feel like going all out, serve it with a side of crinkle fries and mayonnaise.) So flipping good and totally worth walking several miles for!
A bit of a backstory here. If you know me, you know that I love researching all of the unique foods to try before we visit a new country/city (and I'm willing to go the distance to try said food.) Germany was no exception. One of those things I know I needed to try while we were there was currywurst. We decided to go on a hunt for some authentic currywurst, but that meant walking several miles in Frankfurt from our hotel to the shopping center to get our hands on the dish. Regardless, we made the trek and it was SO worth it!
The idea of currywurst is seriously so simple (bratwurst topped with curry ketchup). But the dish has the perfect spicy flavor that your tastebuds are sure to love.
- Bratwurst: Make sure you use high-quality bratwurst.
- Baking soda: I know baking soda seems like a weird ingredient, but it actually helps neutralize the acidity from the ketchup.
- Yellow curry powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cayenne pepper
How to Make Currywurst:
- Cut short vertical slits on both sides of the brats to prevent them from bursting while cooking.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Fry brats until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook the onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and curry powder.
- Add the ketchup and baking soda, simmer until the foaming subsides. Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring it to a simmer.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the brats and dust with curry powder. Serve with french fries or a crispy bread roll.
What do you eat with Currywurst?
Currywurst is traditionally served with french fries or a crispy bread roll (Brötchen.)