Who else could go for a plate piled high with warm fettuccine noodles and topped with a creamy Alfredo right about now? Fettuccine Alfredo seems to be one of those dishes you can never go wrong with, no matter what the occasion is. Loaded with cream, parmesan and butter, it's a simply perfect combination. I'm definitely a fan! And I even like to throw in a few pieces of bacon to take my fettuccine game up a notch (fettuccine carbonara anyone?). Heavenly...but oh sooo fattening. Ugh!
Fortunately, I've recently discovered a new way to enjoy fettuccine Alfredo without all of the extra fat and calories. Rejoice!
Now, I don't want to freak you out, but this recipe contains NO heavy cream, parmesan or butter. Sounds crazy right?! The good news is that this Alfredo recipe is just as good as that calorie-laden traditional stuff, if not better. So how in the world do you make this magic happen? Read on.
I'd like to introduce to you one of the newest products my friends at Simply Organic released this year: Nutritional Yeast. First off, I love Simply Organic as all of their seasonings are high-quality and ethically sourced organic. And nutritional yeast is yet another amazing organic seasoning that they've added to their line-up.
If you've never heard of nutritional yeast, you may be wondering what in the world it is. I'm here to tell you that it is a life-changing seasoning. You can use nutritional yeast on popcorn, pizza, pasta, you name it. Anything that includes cheese as an ingredient can easily be substituted with this glorious seasoning. Perfect if you are looking to reduce calories or cut dairy out of your life, and definitely a pantry staple you should always have on hand.
I decided to give Simply Organic Nutritional Yeast a try in today's recipe. You make this Alfredo sauce exactly the same as you would normally, except with this recipe I like to give the sauce a whirl in the blender just to make sure it is extra creamy. Honestly, you would never even know that nutritional yeast was used instead of parmesan in this recipe.
This light fettuccine Alfredo is so easy and so delicious! You certainly won't have any regrets after eating a plate full of this pasta. And you'll even be able to save room for dessert!
Thank you to Simply Organic for sponsoring this recipe!Print
Light Fettuccine Alfredo
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Inactive Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Roundups
- Cuisine: Italian
- 12 oz fettuccine
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk, or dairy-free milk
- 2 Tbsp Simply Organic nutritional yeast
- dash of salt and pepper
- parsley for garnish, optional
- Boil fettuccine noodles al dente according to directions on package. Drain pasta.
- In a large frying pan, heat up olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic, and sauté one minute or until fragrant. Add flour and stir for an additional minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and milk, stirring until combined. Allow the mixture to simmer. Continue stirring until thickened.
- Remove mixture from heat and pour into a blender. Add in nutritional yeast (I recommend starting with 1 ½-2 tablespoons, adding more if you prefer), salt and pepper. Mix ingredients in the blender until combined well.
- Pour sauce into the pan with the pasta. Toss to evenly coat the pasta. Serve topped with parsley, if desired.
You can mix in chicken or bacon if you want to add more texture or flavor to your pasta.
- Serving Size: 1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0