Just like I had promised in my previous post, here is the recipe for the strawberry trifle. Although I've never had an authentic English strawberry trifle, I bet this one comes pretty dang close! Jacob, when he lived in England, absolutely loved this dessert and I guess there's a good reason why! Layers of vanilla pudding, whipped cream, strawberries and cake drenched in strawberry jam make up this luscious treat. Although this dessert is fairly simple to make, it is so delicious and never fails to impress!
Strawberry trifle is the perfect dessert to serve after a hearty English roast, but I'll warn you it is pretty rich so take it easy on the portions (my stomach is still mad at me for eating too much!). Trifle is also commonly made with chocolate pudding (or custard) and a variety of fruits including raspberries, blueberries and bananas. Don't be afraid to experiment and change this recipe up a bit!
I made this trifle using an angel food cake mix and made it following the directions on the box. I loved the texture of the angel food in this recipe!
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Inactive Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
- angel food or white cake, prepared
- Strawberry jam
- 16 oz. whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 6 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups of strawberries
- Cut an angel food or white cake into bite size pieces. Spoon a small teaspoonful of strawberry jam on each piece.
- Prepare whipped cream by placing whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar in a large bowl and mix for 2-3 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions.
- Slice strawberries and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- In a trifle bowl (the one I used was pretty small, I had leftover ingredients so you may want to use a larger bowl or multiple bowls), start by layering the cake pieces on the bottom, followed by strawberries, pudding and whipped cream. Continue the layers until the bowl is full.
- Strawberries can be placed on the top layer of whipped cream for decoration.
- Serving Size: 1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0