This traditional Egyptian Cucumber and Tomato Salad features crunchy cucumbers, sweet tomatoes, and fresh herbs. It’s a quick, refreshing, and delicious summer salad that makes the perfect side dish or even light meal.
Egyptian Cucumber and Tomato Salad (or Salata Baladi) is a popular salad dish in Egypt and many Middle Eastern countries. When we traveled to the Middle East a couple of years ago, we had this salad with almost all of our meals. This fresh and crunchy salad has a nice acidic bite, which pairs perfectly with hearty Middle Eastern dishes and of course a side of pita or naan. But, you could always bring it to a potluck or barbecue and serve it as a side to some classic American hot dogs and hamburgers (not exactly traditional.) Either way, it’s a great excuse to use up all of that fresh summer produce!
Ingredients in Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Cucumbers: The cucumbers can be added with the peels on or off. I prefer to keep the peels on as it adds texture and more nutrition.
- Roma tomatoes: These are my favorite salad tomatoes as they are tangy and flavorful. But you can really use any tomato in this recipe.
- Red onion: The red onion adds a nice “bite” to the salad.
- Olive oil: Use high-quality olive oil for the best flavor.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make the Salad
- Place diced cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, and onion in a large serving bowl.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
What Tomato is Best for This Salad?
The best salad tomatoes are cherry, grape, and roma. I opted to use roma for their tangy flavor.
Should You Peel the Cucumbers?
Whether or not you peel the cucumbers is really up to you and your personal preference. I like the texture and extra nutrition they add to the salad, which is why I chose to leave them on.
If you want to take this salad up a notch, you can add in some extra additions. Chickpeas, crumbled feta, avocado slices, and ciabatta bread could all be fun add-ins in this salad.
More Middle Eastern Recipes to Try:
This traditional Egyptian Cucumber and Tomato Salad features crunchy cucumbers, sweet tomatoes, and fresh herbs. It's a quick, refreshing, and delicious summer salad that makes the perfect side dish or even light meal.
- 2 cucumbers diced
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- red onion diced
- parsley chopped
- lemon juiced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Place diced cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion in a large serving bowl.
Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Add salt and pepper, to taste.